Definition of an active project
- Active projects have demonstrated meaningful progress at 2 out of the last 3 demo nights.
- Demo nights are the first Tuesday of every month.
- Physical presence is not required.
- Projects may: present remotely, record a presentation or post a publication (blog, etc).
- Ask Hack Night Lead if you’d like to update in a different way. We’re open!
To gain representation on the steering committee
- Fill out this form
- The Steering Committee will vote to approve your project at its next meeting. Only a simple majority is needed to approve.
- If rejected, a rationale will be given and the team may reapply in 2 months.
- Occasionally, the Hack Night Lead will recommend that the Steering Committee vote to remove projects from the active list if they have not met the active project requirements. A simple majority is needed to remove.
- Once removed, the project will be removed from the OpenOakland website, lose Steering Committee representation and potentially lose OpenOakland resources if they are needed for active projects.
- A project can reactivate at any time!
Role of the hack night lead
- Hack Night Lead is responsible for guiding projects through this process and supporting projects with resources they need to make progress.
Infrequently Asked Questions…
I have to do stuff? What gives?
- As a community, we want to push each other to make small, frequent progress
- The theory in implementing this policy is two-fold:
- Make the barrier for progress updates low
- Ask for a high frequency of updates (monthly)
Can I opt out of the steering committee?
- We hope you and your project will benefit from being part of the OpenOakland community.
- In return, the community asks you to:
- Give time to help shape the future of OpenOakland
- Give feedback so that OpenOakland continues to meet your needs
- Right now, the Steering Committee is our mechanism for facilitating that.
- So in short… no! But we’ve tried to make this a light lift:
- Any team member may represent your project
- The representative can change over time if needed